Graphic designers are highly in demand these days because unlike other web related businesses, graphic design gives you the flexibility to work in both online and offline media. All you need is a little creativity and knowledge in designing software to be a good graphic designer. Here are some of the things you should start doing to prepare yourself for a successful career.
- Get a Degree- Employers prefer hiring someone with a designing degree from a reputed institution. Join a college to sharpen your skills. You may have practiced design softwares at home, but at an institution, you will learn the full possibilities of each tool, and also ways to exploit them.
- Decide Your Field- Choose your path wisely. You can know all, but can’t be all. In other words, you can acquire knowledge on a vast variety of software but must specialize in designing any one faculty perfectly to be called an “expert”. Ask yourself what excites you? Do you love logo, brochure, newsletter, advertisement layout or website design? Follow your passion dedicatedly and you will achieve success.
- Make Friends and Learn from Teachers- Start bonding with other students and teachers to broaden your horizon. Teachers will help you identify the mistakes and friends may share some interesting concepts with you.
- Be Involved in Events- Participate in seminars, inter-college fests; listen to experts to enhance your knowledge. Event organization increases your leadership skills and teaches you the ways to handle pressure. Additionally, search the internet for various online designing contests. Take part in them to get better exposure. You can also win monetary awards.
- Try for Internship- During the last semester, start applying in different companies to get an internship. You may not earn much as an intern, but it will prepare you for a professional career.
- Create a Portfolio and a Resume- These things are absolutely important for a newbie artist. On applying for a job, you will be asked for your educational details and sample designs. So, make sure your resume has all the personal and professional details that an employer would like to know. Highlight your expertise and experience to beat other candidates. Print only the best work for your portfolio to prove your worth as a designer. A website can also help you manifold in attracting online clients or employers.
Chase your dream and keep up the hard work to grab a good job in a reputed design company. When you start preparing for your career at a young age, the chances of success is really high.
All the best!