When clients hire a website designer for a web development project, they expect that the designer will create a memorable experience for the end users and position their brand ahead of the competitors. So, how can a designer make a site memorable?
As a web designer, you should think from the viewers’ perspective and plan a layout that is enjoyable. A fun experience is always memorable. It grabs web users’ attention and they also ask their friends to visit that site. Let’s see how you can add fun to web design and make a web design project successful.
Before I start explaining, let me clarify that adding “fun” to a site does not mean you should design a whimsical layout. Your design should offer an enjoyable user experience, without looking unprofessional.
- Improve the Ordinary – There are some common pages in every website, such as, “about us” page and “contact us” page. Both these pages look very boring and you should try to add personality to them. For instance, in the “about us” page, you can show the images of key people in your client’s company and write below the image, “Why these people look so serious?” Similarly, in the “contact us” page, you can add some cartoons and greet the visitors cheerfully.
- Make the Frustrating Pages Funny - 404 error pages annoy web users the most. Hence, find a way to make it interesting. Instead of showing “page not found message”, you can show archived posts and write, “something bad has happened, would you like to try other articles?”
- Searching Should Be Fun - Try learning from Google how online searching can be fun. Design the search tool in your site like Google. You can design a doodle and offer interactive games in the “search” logo to make even the smallest part of a site interesting.
- You Can Go over the Top, but Maintain Clarity - Too much fun elements can create a negative impact if you don’t use them intelligently. Graphic and video should not confuse the viewers. Tell the customers clearly what products/services you client offers.
- Make the Message Memorable - The design should support the website’s overall message to create a memorable experience. So, for instance, if you are designing a dog website, make sure there are enough paw prints and doggy pictures all around.
Every web designer should try to develop unforgettable user interfaces and user experiences. If you want to design a “fun” website, contact an offshore staffing company and hire a programmer for your web development project.